Saturday, January 26, 2013

Kitchen Renovation

We purchased our home on June 15, 2012 and moved in September 1st.  It had to be livable by September 1st because I was renting downtown Chicago and my lease was up.  I'll show all of our renovations and trust me it is still a work in progress but here is our kitchen before and after.
 This was our kitchen before, we decided to completely redo and make the window into a door so that you didn't have to go through the garage or screened in porch to get to our backyard.
Pretty right?  Maybe 30 years ago, very Laura Ashley!
 Their formal dining room became my eat in kitchen area.  I got rid of the wall right away so that the dining room and kitchen are one big space.  I am a big fan of open layout!
 I added this picture which is now our family room, to show where we knocked out the wall at the end of the room and put in these two columns that I LOVE!  (I will show the family room reno soon)
OMG, what did we get ourselves into!  This is our first home!!! No turning back now!

TA DA!!!
 HELLO NEW KITCHEN!  YES, this is the same space.  I decided to keep the stove and the sink in the same space as before so that we didn't have to change to much of the gas lines, plumbing and etc.
 The island sits where the wall was between the "formal dining room" and the old kitchen.  Bye bye wall and hello my amazing island where EVERYONE hangs out.
 I actually also kept the fridge in the same space and I built in my pantry on each side of the fridge.  The pantry in the old house was actually behind the stove.  I made that space my laundry room to get it on the first floor and not in the basement.  Turned out perfect!  I will show my laundry room later.
 These are the two columns that I had built which I love!  You can also see in this picture actually where the wall came down in between the kitchen and the old dining room.  I decided to offset that table and make a bench... see below!  So that it felt like one big flowing space.
 The bench worked perfect and were built to match the columns.  I love the bench for storage and the offset look.  I didn't want it to be a dining room AND a kitchen but one big flowing space.
 This picture was taken sitting on the bench so that you can see the whole space.
 With the island I wanted a piece of furniture look and not just more cabinets so I went with different cabinets but the same carrara marble top.  The end actually has columns to create that furniture feel.
 My new pantry!
This is taken from walking in from our garage.  Hope you all love our new kitchen, we sure do!




No comments:

Post a Comment